This local chapter is located in/near Hartford, CT.
To contact/join this chapter, please see the contact info on the left.
To learn a little bit more about this Chapter and it's history, click here for an interview with co-leaders Kris McCue and Mark Cegielski.
- Mineral Depot
- Take advantage of sharing reduced bulk shipping rates, and splitting bulk items for less than individual sized pkgs
- Fedco Co-op
- Reduced prices on bulk orders, BFA members receive highest discount level, non members can also participate and save
- Monthly Chapter Meetings
- Gatherings held 1-2x per month in locations within Hartford County
- Speakers educate on a variety of soil-health and food-health topics
- Network with fellow regenerative farmers and gardeners
- Meet local growers of regeneratively grown foods
- Soil Testing Assistance
- BFA offers special rate on soil testing via Logan Labs in Ohio
- Support for interpreting soil test results and sourcing amendments, referrals to soil consultants
- Food Co-op
- Co-leaders Kris and Mark have been coordinators of a local organic food co-op for many years helping farmers make direct connections with consumers. We are enthusiastic to help others form new food co-operatives and buying clubs.
- BFA members get discounts for BFA-sponsored events and classes, soil and health books, and more
- Sharing Resources
- In progress is a lending library of books, magazines and dvd's related to bionutrient growing, soil health, minerals, soil testing, and more
- Grower and Consumer Education
- Speakers at our monthly meetings address a variety of topics related to soil health, biological growing, and the importance of minerals to crop-health and human-health
- Host discussions on food quality
- Food quality research
- Learn to use a refractometer to test food quality
- Networking with Allied Organizations
- Tour of farms practicing regenerative farming and remineralizing
- Classes in growing and harvesting nutrient dense foods
- Build relationships with local farmerʼs markets and organizations focused on the correlation between food-quality and human health-quality such as the Weston A. Price Foundation
We hold regularly scheduled meetings and events. To see the latest, check us out at http://bfa.regenerativeag.net/CT/.
Thursday, June 21, 2018 from 6:00-8:00pm
Topic: Foliar Sprays
Location: BFA Garden at the George Hall Farm, 180 Old Farms Rd, Simsbury [ map ]
Kris McCue (possibly with a guest) will lead a discussion on foliar sprays. What to use, when to use, timing and more. I will have an assortment of materials to share for you to take some with you to try. You must bring a small jar with a lid, glass or plastic is fine. Reimbursement for my cost only.
RSVPs much appreciated- firstname.lastname@example.org or on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/HartfordCTBionutrientFood/
Weekly on Tuesdays during July & August:
Want to see what regenerative techniques we are trying at the BFA demo garden? Maybe you'll be inspired to try some new things too! Check out our photo album on Facebook. It's set for public viewing so even if you are not a Facebook user you can view and read the captions. https://www.facebook.com/pg/HartfordCTBionutrientFood/photos/?tab=album&...
BFA Biological Demonstration Garden open to visitors every Tuesday from 2:00 PM to sunset. Tours and tasting! Come and learn how we are improving the soil quality. Bring your questions – we’re happy to help!, take a tour of the garden, taste what we are harvesting that week. This is during the farm’s regular CSA pickup hours. There will be signs posted so follow the arrows up to our garden – or walk on the dirt road that runs up the north side of the farm and hang a right after the 3rd greenhouse in a row. Our garden is easy to spot – mid-field and surrounded by a wire fence that contains our little oasis.
July 26, 2018 from 6:00-8:00pm
Biological Homestead/Farm Tour at Monique’s Place
Location: Southwick, MA - address will be given to those who RSVP to email@example.com
Join us for a tour of a biologically run homestead in suburban Southwick MA (over the border from Granby CT going North on Rt. 10). Monique and her husband raise most of their own food. They keep milking goats for milk, cheese, and soap making; pigs, chickens and ducks for meat and eggs; and this summer they are leasing a cow so they can fill their larder with butter and cheese. The cow is also improving their pastures! They raise much of the food they feed their animals as well. They use the Back to Eden no-till gardening method in their gardens where they grow a wide assortment of vegetables, herbs, berries, fruit trees and flowers. They’ve been bee-keepers, and have recently added a small greenhouse. Monique does tons of canning, freezing, fermenting, dehydrating, wine-making, and all manner of preserving. Monique teaches these skills with short internships for those who want to learn more. Come join us for this fascinating informal garden meeting. Bring a folding chair if you like and also please bring a small snack to share potluck-style.
August 23, 2018 from 6:00-8:00pm
Location: Evergreen Berry Farm, 435 Bassett Road, Watertown, CT [ map ]
Learn more about their regenerative soil practices (including trials with biodynamics, structured water, and more).
Check their hours of operation for You-pick biologically, organically raised blueberries, black raspberries, red raspberries, and blackberries
September 6, 2018 from 6:00-8:00pm
Topic: Soil testing
Location: George Hall Farm, 180 Old Farms Road, Simsbury, CT 06070 [ map ]
We will be discussing the importance of testing your soil, including demo of soil sampling, discussion of the minerals tested by Logan Labs - go home and send out your own soil for testing!
October 4, 2018 from 6:00-8:00pm
Topic: Examining test results
We will go over soil test results, calculate amendments and make a mineral depot order list.
*Membership with BFA is REQUIRED for joining in the depot order, as it is a benefit provided to members only.
November 8, 2018 from 6:00-8:00pm
Seed Swap and pick up your mineral amendments ordered on 10/4
We also have a YouTube channel that we are populating with valuable information and workshop excerpts: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A7jrDaMQZxbjZTW60lcvg.